The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Honolulu District's Pacific Regional Visitor Center first opened its doors at Battery Randolph in 1983. Its goal is to enhance the public's understanding of the multidimensional role of the U.S. Army and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Particular emphasis is on water resources development that affects the lives of all the residents of Hawaii and the people of the Pacific. The Pacific Regional Visitor Center is located on the second floor of historic Battery Randolph at Fort DeRussy, Waikiki. Battery Randolph is listed on the National Register of Historic Sites and is one of 16 coastal fortifications built by the Corps between 1906 and 1917 for the protection of Honolulu and Pearl Harbors.