By Joseph Bonfiglio, Honolulu District Public Affairs
More than 40 volunteers from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers partnered with local JROTC students and others to clean up Waikiki Beach April 11 as part of Earth Month 2015.
Over 20 volunteers from the Punahou Junior ROTC program (which includes cadets from other area high schools and some home-schooled students) joined over 20 Corps employees and their friends and families to clean up the beach and berm area at the Corps' Pacific Regional Visitor Center (RVC) at Fort DeRussy in Waikiki.
The District was honored to have Pacific Ocean Division Commander Brig. Gen. Jeffrey and Mrs. Debbie Milhorn join the efforts.
Milhorn presented Commander’s coins to and thanked Corps Park Ranger Angela Jones for her outstanding efforts to organize this annual event and Lt. Col. Robert Takao, Commander of the Punahou Junior ROTC Program, for his long-term support of this great program.
Also leading the Corps’ efforts to protect the environment were Honolulu District Commander Lt. Col. Chris and Mrs. Maria Crary.
Earth Month and Earth Day increase awareness and support for ongoing education and efforts to build partnerships and grassroots involvement to keep the 'aina clean year-round.
Earth Day was established March 21, 1970 as an annual event to deepen reverence and care for life on the planet.
For more information about the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, visit the Honolulu District website: http://www.poh.usace.army.mil/; or call 438-2815 for information about the RVC.
The Corps' RVC first opened its doors at Battery Randolph in 1983. Its goal is to enhance the public's understanding of the multidimensional role of the U.S. Army and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Particular emphasis is on Civil Works and water resources development which affect the lives of all the residents of Hawaii and the people of the Pacific.
The RVC is located on the second floor of historic Battery Randolph at Fort DeRussy, Waikiki. Battery Randolph is listed on the National Register of Historic Sites and is one of 16 coastal fortifications built by the Corps between 1906 and 1917 for the protection of Honolulu and Pearl harbors.
Release no. 15-006