Honolulu District U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Commander Lt. Col. Kathryn Sanborn, Honolulu District Deputy District Commander Maj. Josh Sturgill and Pacific Ocean Division, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Command Sgt. Maj. Patrickson Toussaint led roughly 40 Division and District personnel, families and friends on a two-mile hike to view the sunrise from the Corps of Engineers-built Makapu`u Lighthouse April 25, 2019, celebrating the 114th Birthday of the District. The Corps built Makapu'u Lighthouse in 1909 on a 647-foot sea cliff overlooking Makapu’u Beach in southeast Oahu. The Corps’ history in Hawaii and the Pacific began in 1905 when Lt. John Slattery became the District’s first commander. His original mission was to construct lighthouses for navigation, like Makapu’u. Makapu’u Point is a critical location passed by all ships moving between Honolulu and the U.S. Mainland. The lighthouse is still an active U.S. Coast Guard navigation aid in use today.