Laupahoehoe Harbor is located on the northeast side of the island of Hawaii, near the Hamakua Coast. Laupahoehoe Harbor was authorized under Section 107 of the River and Harbor Act of 1960, as amended. The local sponsor is the Department of Parks and Recreation, County of Hawaii. The project is in the operations and maintenance phase.
The project was completed in August 1988, at a cost of $3,760,000 (Federal: $2,930,000; non-Federal: $830,000). An additional contract at a cost of $235,000 was completed in 1990 to remove a rock shelf, adjacent to the seaward edge of the turning basin and placement of revetment stones to improve navigation safety. The project consists of a 200-foot-long breakwater, 60-foot-long wave absorber, 9.5-foot-deep entrance channel, and a 7.5-foot-deep turning basin.
Laupahoehoe means “leaf of lava” and refers to the peninsula formed by smooth lava on which the village of Laupahoehoe was built. In 1946, a deadly tsunami hit the Big Island's windward coast. A memorial erected in the memory of those who died is located at the Laupahoehoe Point Park which surrounds Laupahoehoe Harbor.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is responsible to maintain breakwater structures and authorized Federal project depths in the entrance channels, main access channels, and turning basin areas. The Department of Parks and Recreation, County of Hawaii is responsible for the launch ramp, and shore side features.